Thursday, April 5, 2012

Kanzashi flower

So I've been puttering about making flowers for the wedding and the latest is a kanzashi flower that I made from 1.5 inch ribbon squares and 2 inch squares cut from this really pretty pale blue and gold fabric. I hand serged the edges of the fabric with a blanket stitch because even with the quilt grid fusible interfacing (2 inch squares already drawn on the fusible makes things so MUCH easier!!!) it likes to unravel. At any rate I used a big pearl brad to finish off the center and I'm really pleased with how these are turning out.

Origami fabric flower

The only down side to these flowers is that because I do such a tiny blanket stitch (I'll show more pictures later) each one takes me about 3.5 hours. Since I want to make about 2 dozen of these... yeah it's going to take a while. ^^; My mother made several carnation type flowers with the same fabric that just came out beautifully and I'll be making corsages with them. Yay! I keep switching between making fabric flowers and paper flowers. I have a flower obsession!

Origami flowers

Annemarie taught me how to fold these paper flowers back around Christmas. Same color scheme as my fabric ones. I printed Alice in Wonderland characters on squares and folded them to put them into the flowers. I'm still not sure if I like the paper or fabric ones more! What do you think? (Well I hope somebody reads this!)

No comments:

Post a Comment